July 1, 2014

Lizzie Diana's Book Club: July 2014 Selection


As many of my friends know, I love to read. (And for those of you who I do not know, I'll go ahead and tell you now: I love to read.) From classics to fantasy, historical romance to young adult, I'll read basically anything, especially if it's cheap!

I'm an avid book collector as well; I own over 250 books and currently have a to-read pile that is nearly chest high. And I'm sure it comes as no surprise that the love of reading runs in the family. Both my brother and sister are book lovers and own quite a few themselves (though not as many as me!).

But there is one family member who has my siblings and I beat by a long shot, and that is my dear cousin, Honor.

I'm not going to even try to guess how many books she has squirreled away in her bedroom, but it's probably double what I have. In all honesty, I most likely learned my hoarding habits from her; at age twelve I was borrowing books from her, 10 or more at a time. It was a rather symbiotic relationship: she got more shelf space, and I got more books to read. Up until that pivotal point in my life, I was content just checking out books from the library. But something changed, and now I would so much rather own the book than borrow it. There's something extremely pleasing about owning one's own books.

As I was thinking of ways to expand Lizzie Diana's readership, I thought it would be great to start a book club! I also wanted to get some guest bloggers to occasionally write for us, so why not combine the two? I asked Honor, a book review blogger at Reading My Height in Books, if she would run the book club for Lizzie Diana's, and she said yes!

Here's how it works: Every month, we will read one book. At the beginning of the month, we will announce the book selection for the month so you can go buy, download, or check it out at the library. We will attempt to cover an array of authors and subject matters, but they will all probably be fiction. At the end of the month, there will be an online discussion on the blog, written and run by Honor. Feel free to ask questions and pose your own discussions in the comments!

Both Diana and I are terribly excited about our book club, and we know Honor will do an amazing job; she's a fantastic writer and already has some great books picked out.

I thought I'd let Honor introduce herself (and this month's books selection!), so without further ado, meet my cousin, Honor.



 Hello Everyone!

As Lizzie has said, my name is Honor, and I’m one half of the reviewing team at the (very young) blog Reading My Height in Books! I love books, and I've been an avid reader since I was small. As Lizzie also said, I have a *slightly* ridiculous library, housing upwards of eight hundred books. While I tend to prefer fantasy, science fiction, classics, and young adult novels, I’m more than happy to branch out.

As many of you have likely surmised from the spoiler on their Facebook page, the first book in Lizzie Diana's Book Club will be . . . Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen! So, over the course of July we’ll be reading the novel, and during the last week I’ll post a list of topics relevant to the book for discussion by myself and anyone else who would like to participate. Please feel free to comment, suggest topics, and recommend books for the coming months! If we hit some kind of unforeseen snag in the format—or if any of you have suggestions for improvement—we can always make changes in the future.


I’m looking forward to proctoring Lizzie Diana’s Book Club, and I hope you all are as well. Happy reading!

Best wishes,
Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to comment, we would love to hear anything you have to say :)