May 20, 2014

Repurposed Book Art Journal

Lizzie Diana's, Repurposed Book Art Journal, Repurposed Book, Art Journal, art journaling,

I am really excited to share this project with everyone today! I shared back in March how I was introduced to art journaling and that I had recently picked it up again. Thus far, I have completed one journal for my freshman year of college and one for last summer.

The journal for my freshman year was bound together after I made lots and lots of pages.

The one for last summer I did a bit differently.

Lizzie Diana's, Repurposed Book Art Journal, Repurposed Book, Art Journal, art journaling,

I picked this adorable book out of the free box at a used bookstore and thought it was the perfect size for a summer journal. Turns out I was right! Using an Exacto knife, I cut out every other page so there would be room for pictures and other memories. It turned out beautifully. I am totally  in love with the end result, and I thought I'd share it with you all, as well as some tips for making your own.

Lizzie Diana's, Repurposed Book Art Journal, Repurposed Book, Art Journal, art journaling,

1. Find a book you want to use. Hardback, that is. Choose one that is special to you, or unique, or just plain awesome. The one I chose covered all three. It's a children's book about shooting stars from 1958 and has fantastic pages: slightly yellowed with such classy illustrations. I also love constellation art, so this book was very "Lizzie."

Keep in mind the size when picking a book. The one I chose was too small for 4x6 photos and I had to do a lot of trimming. If you wanted to do a journal of entirely small pictures, then awesome! But if you want bigger pictures too, be mindful of how big a book you will need. Also think about the thickness. If you plan on putting a lot in the journal, you'll need a relatively thick book. Mine only covered three months, so a small one worked fine.

Lizzie Diana's, Repurposed Book Art Journal, Repurposed Book, Art Journal, art journaling,

2. Choose and print pictures. This is probably the most difficult part right here. Choosing which pictures to include and which to exclude can be tricky. Pick what is most meaningful and best represents what it is about each memory that you want to remember.

3. Collect bits and pieces to include with the pictures. Travel brochures, ticket stubs, pressed flowers and leaves... The possibilities are endless. Journals are so much more personal when an actual piece of your day is preserved along with your pictures.

Also try including random things, like pretty pictures or phrases cut out of magazines.

4. Decide how many pages you will need. Basically, create a rough layout. I'm not a big believer in planning journal pages, but in this case, it is partially necessary. Normally, the number of pages isn't very important since you are binding them together yourself. When using an old book, however, it is important to have a rough estimate of how many pages you need to you can cut out the right number of pages.

5. Cut out pages. Once you know how many pages you need, get rid of ones you don't need. Divide the number up evenly (every other, every two, etc) so the journal pages are evenly spaced. Leave a few spare in the front and the back in case you miscalculated how many pages you needed. An Exacto knife is perfect for cutting out pages. Cut as close to the binding as you can get and be careful not to cut out more pages than you intended.

6. Glue glue glue. I am a personal fan of rubber cement. Modpodge and school glue can often wrinkle and take a long time to dry. Rubber cement stinks, but it dries fast and evenly.

Lizzie Diana's, Repurposed Book Art Journal, Repurposed Book, Art Journal, art journaling,

7. Don't just glue. Get creative. Paint on some pages. Sew some pictures in. Use colorful washi tape (I LOVE the washi tape Diana gave me for Christmas!). Mix it up.

Lizzie Diana's, Repurposed Book Art Journal, Repurposed Book, Art Journal, art journaling,

8. Add notes and captions. I used 3x5 note cards in this journal. They fit the page size nicely and I like the way they look. Adding captions is half of the "journal" part of art journaling; getting your thoughts down preserves how you felt about that day so you can look back on it years later and relive the memory.

Lizzie Diana's, Repurposed Book Art Journal, Repurposed Book, Art Journal, art journaling,

9. Don't be afraid to mess up. Take the page above. I was planning on writing "July 4th," but I wasn't thinking and didn't leave enough room for the "4th." And you know what? I actually like it better this way. Mistakes are good; they make your journal real. Kind of the was messy houses are more cozy than perfectly clean ones... You just can't fake that "lived in" feeling.

Lizzie Diana's, Repurposed Book Art Journal, Repurposed Book, Art Journal, art journaling,

I hope you all enjoyed my repurposed book art journal. I love how it looks, and I'm glad all my summer memories are now in one book! I also really hope this inspires you all to get into art journaling, too. Using an old book as the base of your journal is an easy way to start.

Wish me luck creating my sophomore year journal, that's next on my list... It'll take me a while!

Love,
Lizzie

Anyone else like art journaling? Think Lizzie's repurposed book journal turned out great? Leave us a comment! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to comment, we would love to hear anything you have to say :)